Teaching Assistant Professor
2008, MFA Fiction Writing, University of New Hampshire
2005, MA History, University of Massachusetts
2000, BA History, University of California, Los Angeles
Michael Keenan Gutierrez is the author of The Trench Angel (Leapfrog) and earned degrees from UCLA, the University of Massachusetts, and the University of New Hampshire. His work has been published in The Guardian, The Delmarva Review, The Collagist, Scarab, The Pisgah Review, Untoward, The Boiler, and Crossborder. His screenplay, The Granite State, was a finalist at the Austin Film Festival and he has received fellowships from The University of Houston and the New York Public Library. Originally from Los Angeles, he has been teaching at the University of North Carolina since 2012.To read more, visit my website
- The Trench Angel, Leapfrog Press, 2015
- “The Bone Bag, “Delmarva Review.” November 2016.
- “Click, Tally, Reset,” The Collagist. July 2015
- “The Battle Cry of Vernon Stephens,” The Boiler. Winter 2013.
- “Survivors,” May 2013.
- Joseph Flora Award for Excellence in Teaching, 2015.
- Pushcart Prize, Nominee, 2016, 2009.
- Austin Film Festival, Finalist, 2013.
- James Jones First Novel in Progress Fellowship, Finalist, 2013.
- New York Public Library Research Fellowship, 2011-2012.
- Houston Writing Fellowship, The University of Houston, 2010-2012.
- English 283: Life Writing
- English 147: Mystery Fiction
- English 124: Contemporary Fiction
- English 123: Introduction to Fiction
- English 105i: Writing in the Humanities
- English 105i: Writing in the Social Sciences
- English 105: First-Year Writing