- 1968, BA English, University of Georgia
- 1969, MA English, University of North Carolina
- 1972, PhD English, University of North Carolina
- 1972-1980, Assistant and Associate Professor, University of South Carolina
- 1980-2009, Associate and Full Professor, University of North Carolina
- 2010-2014, Associate Dean for Undergraduate Curricula, University of North Carolina
- A Rhetoric for Writing Teachers. (New York: Oxford University Press, 1982, 1987, 1995; with Daniel Anderson, 2001)
- Editor, Longman Bibliography of Composition and Rhetoric. 2 vols. (New York: Longman, 1987, 1988).
- Editor, CCCC Bibliography of Composition and Rhetoric. 4 vols. (Carbondale, IL: Southern Illinois University Press, 1990, 1991, 1992).
- With Gary Tate, An Introduction to Composition Studies. (New York: Oxford University Press, 1992).
- Editor, True and Candid Compositions: The Lives and Writings of Antebellum Students at the University of North Carolina. Documenting the American South, 2005. University Library, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Website. https://docsouth.unc.edu/true/.
- Editor, Reading the Past, Writing the Future: A Century of American Literacy Education and the National Council of Teachers of English. (Urbana, IL: National Council of Teachers of English, 2010).
- Outstanding Faculty Woman Award (1996)
- University Distinguished Teaching Award (2001)
- John C. Gerber 20th Century Leadership Award (2000)
- CCCC Exemplar Award (2005)
- NCTE Distinguished Service Award (2011)