2022, MA English, University of North Carolina at Charlotte
2016, BA Religious Studies, Wingate University
A North Carolina native, Joshua Cody Ward joined the program in Fall 2022. His field is Modern and Contemporary American literature broadly (1900-Present), specifically Literature of the American South, of the Appalachian South, and African American Literature. His research interests include the archive, textual studies, editorial scholarship, intertextuality, and the Novel. He is a Digital Content Coordinator for the Latina/o Studies Program, a Junior Coordinator for the Critical Speakers Series, the Graduate Lecture Series coordinator, and a Board Member (2023-2026) for the Thomas Wolfe Society. He is also on the committee for the 2024 Durham, NC conference for the Thomas Wolfe Society.
- “Weird Object Relations, Ecology, and Apocalypse in Cormac McCarthy’s The Passenger and Stella Maris.” In New Perspectives on Cormac McCarthy: Encountering The Passenger and Stella Maris, edited by Jonathan Elmore and Rick Elmore. Forthcoming.
- “From Commas to Cosmos: The Pervading Influence of Thomas Wolfe on Cormac McCarthy.” The Thomas Wolfe Review. Forthcoming.
- “Publishing the Black Arts Movement: Editors, Anthologies, and Canonization.” South Atlantic Review. Forthcoming.
- [album] The Boron Heist. Ridin’ Rough. Mystery School Records, April 6 2019.
- “Light and Darkness, Sight and Blindness: Religious Knowledge in Cormac McCarthy’s Outer Dark.” Wingate Research Review, issue 8, Fall 2016, pp. 87-106.
- “Raison d’être.” Wingate University Counterpoint, Spring 2013, p. 9.
- “On Testing.” Wingate University Counterpoint, Spring 2013, p. 23.
- Graduate Teaching Fellow, Fall 2022-Present, UNC Chapel Hill, English and Comparative Literature Department.
- Emerging Scholar Award, Summer 2023, UNC Chapel Hill, Southern Futures program.
- John R. Bittner Student Literary Prize, May 27th 2023, Thomas Wolfe Society Conference.
- LSP Teaching Fellowship, Spring 2023, UNC Chapel Hill Latina/o Studies Program.
- Graduate Student Transportation Grant, Spring 2023, UNC Chapel Hill, Graduate School.
- Languages & Literatures Graduate Student Paper Award Recipient, February 23rd 2023, 44th Annual SWPACA Conference.
- 2021 Graduate Student Essay Award Recipient, November 12th 2022, SAMLA 94.
- Travel Grant, Fall 2022, UNC Chapel Hill, English and Comparative Literature Department.
- The Julian D. Mason Award for Excellence in Graduate Studies, April 29th 2022, UNC Charlotte, English Department.
- Graduate Teaching Assistantship, Fall 2020-Spring 2022, UNC Charlotte, English Department.
- Wittliff Collections William Hill Research Award, 2021-2022, Texas State University, For archival research conducted July 2021 in the Cormac McCarthy Papers and Woolmer Collections.
- Anne Newman Graduate Student Travel Grant, Fall 2021, UNC Charlotte.
- Excellence in Philosophy Award, April 24th 2016, Wingate University, Religious Studies Department.
- G. Byrns Coleman Award for Excellence in Religious Studies, April 24th 2016, Wingate University, Religious Studies Department.
- University Honors, April 24th, 2016, Wingate University.