1974, MFA in Creative Writing, UNC-Greensboro
Marianne Gingher writes both fiction and non-fiction. She has published short stories and essays in periodicals ranging from the Oxford American to O, the Oprah Magazine to the New York Times. She is also a cartoonist and a puppeteer. With her collaborator, Deborah Seabrooke, she founded Jabberbox Puppet Theater in 2009, a venue for original puppet performances.
- Bobby Rex’s Greatest Hit. (New York: Atheneum Publishers, 1986).
- Teen Angel & Other Stories of Wayward Love (New York: Atheneum Publishers, 1988).
- A Girl’s Life: Horses, Boys, Weddings & Luck ( Baton Rouge:Louisiana State University Press, 2001).
- Adventures in Pen Land: One Writer’s Journey from Inklings to Ink ( Columbus: University of Missouri Press, 2008).
- Long Story Short: Flash Fiction by Sixty-five of North Carolina’s Finest Writers ( Chapel Hill: University of North Carolna Press, 2009.)
- Amazing Place: What North Carolina Means to Writers ( Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 2015.)
- Chapman Family Fellowship Award, UNC Institute of Arts and Humanities, 2000.
- Johnston Award for Excellence in Teaching, 2007.
- Chapman Family Fellowship Award, UNC Institute of Arts and Humanities,2008.
- Bowman and Gordon Gray Distinguished Term Professor 2011-2016.
- Sir Walter Raleigh Award for Fiction, 1987, presented by the Historical Book Club of North Carolina
- ALA “Best Book” citation for Teen Angel & Other Stories of Wayward Love, 1988
- North Carolina Literary Fellowship Grant, 1990 ($7,500)
- Bronze Medal from Foreword Magazine in Best Book of the Year/ Memoir categoryfor A Girl’s Life, May 2002
- 2003 Spray-Randleigh Award, UNC-CH, $15,000 grant for a proposal to edit a grammar exercise workbook based on Daphne Athas’s original Glossolalia, Summer 2003
- UNC /University Research Grant, 2006 for sudden fiction anthology project
- UNC Arts and Humanities Grant award, 2007 for sudden fiction anthology project
- UNC/University Research Council Publication Grant, May 2008
- New York Times Best-seller List, #8, May 2015 for Amazing Place (Travel category)
- (ENG 130) Introduction to Fiction Writing
- (ENG 132H) Honors Introduction to Fiction Writing
- (ENG 307) Flash Fiction
- (ENG 206) Intermediate Fiction Writing
- (ENG 406) Advanced Fiction Writing
- (ENG 307) Gram-o-Rama
- (ENG 306) Introduction to Playwriting and Puppetry (summer course only)
- (ENG 693 and 694) Senior Honors in Fiction Writing