- This event has passed.
Popular Narratives and the Experience of War: A Veterans’ Public Forum
April 27, 2019 @ 10:30 am - 4:00 pm
You are invited to a two-part event on April 27, 2019. The first part of the event is an open-to-the-public discussion, where four 1990s/GWOT vets will discuss how American popular culture has influenced the civilian-military divide in their personal experience. The current panelists are:
- Joe Kassabian (author of The Hooligans of Kandahar, host of the Lions Led by Donkeys Podcast)
- Eric Burke (Civil War historian and OIF/OEF enlisted infantryman)
- Kate Dahlstrand (Civil War/Reconstruction historian, director of UGA’s Student Veteran Oral History Project, GWOT enlisted combat vet)
- Dr. Michelle Moyd (East African military historian, early/mid ’90s USAF officer)
The panel will discuss the following questions:
1. How does American culture conceive of war and military service?
2. Do these conceptions harm veterans and reinforce the “civilian-military divide?
3. Where should veterans’ lived experiences fit into the American narrative of war?
After the panel discussion, a veterans writing workshop geared toward area veterans will commence. All workshop participants will receive a free catered lunch, courtesy of UNC Humanities for the Public Good. Then you’ll transition into a writing workshop, with writing prompts partly-inspired by the public discussion. The workshop will feature trained facilitators (most of whom are military affiliated) who will help you learn narrative and story-telling skills. If you’re a veteran and proud of the stories that we help you tell, there is a possibility that our collaboration can continue, building towards publication in an online archive or even an edited book!
Your POC for any questions is co-organizer Davis Winkie. He can be reached via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. He’s pretty responsive, but don’t hesitate to follow up on anything that goes 24 hours without a response.
Location: Carolina Student Union, Room 3408.
Time: Panel: 10:30 AM – 12:00 PM. Workshop: 12:00 – 4:00 PM
Administrators: Davis Winkie, Paul Blom
Point of Contact: Davis Winkie, email@example.com