Welcome to the Writing Program of the Department of English and Comparative Literature at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
The Writing Program office is located in 202 Greenlaw Hall and can be reached by telephone at (919) 962-6871.
Information for Undergraduate Students
The Writing Program is home to the first-year writing courses that fulfill the Composition Rhetoric (CR) Foundation requirement. We also offer upper-level composition and rhetoric courses for undergraduates.
Please consult the links on the left for detailed information about these undergraduate courses.
The required textbooks for ENGL 105 and ENGL 100 are
How to Write Anything UNC Custom, Second Edition; ISBN 9781457634703
Student Guide to First-Year Composition; ISBN 9780860030935
These books can only be purchased at UNC Student Stores. Copies purchased elsewhere will not have the customized UNC supplement. Copies from the last academic year are out of date. The textbooks both have a blue cover. If your book does not have a blue cover it will not be the correct version for this academic year.
Graduate Program in Rhetoric, Composition and Literacy
Learn more about this Graduate major within the Department of English and Comparative Literature.
- Director of the Writing Program: Dr. Jane Danielewicz
- Associate Director of the Writing Program: Dr. Jordynn Jack
- Acting Associate Director for Fall 2012: Dr. Brad Hammer
- Assistant Director of the Writing Program: Ashley Hall
- Undergraduate Advisor for English: Dr. Hilary Lithgow
- Writing Program Assistant: Karen Sardi