I have published ten collections of poetry, most recently That Was Oasis (Carnegie Mellon University Press, 2012). In 2006, I published my first collection of essays, The Napkin Manuscripts: Selected Essays and an Interview (University of Tennessee Press). I have also edited This is Where We Live: Short Stories by 25 Contemporary North Carolina Writers, published by the University of North Carolina Press in 2000, a companion anthology to my The Language They Speak is Things to Eat: Poems by Fifteen Contemporary North Carolina Poets, published by UNC Press in 1994.
To see two short videos of "My Inner Hillbilly," a reading that I did at the UNC Alumni Center on Tuesday September 21, 2010 -- the first featuring excerpts from the title essay, the second excerpts from the poetry part of the program -- please visit:
- R. Hunt Parker Memorial Award for Literary Achievement, North Carolina Literary and Historical Association, November 2010.
- Women's Leadership Council Faculty Mentoring Award, UNC, 2010
- James Still Award for Writing about the Appalachian South, from the Fellowship of Southern Writers, 2009.
- Thomas Wolfe Literary Award, Western North Carolina Historical Association, 2006.
- Students' Undergraduate Teaching Award, UNC, April 2004.
- Roanoke-Chowan Award for Poetry, North Carolina Literary and Historical Association, 2001.
- Bowman and Gordon Gray Distinguished Professor, 2000-2005.
- Hettleman Prize for Artistic and Scholarly Achievement by Young Faculty, UNC, 1999.
- Johnston Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching, UNC, Spring 1998.
Hire Date: 1995
M.A., UNC Chapel Hill, 1978
B.A., UNC Chapel Hill, 1976