Professor of English
I have published ten collections of poetry, most recently That Was Oasis (Carnegie Mellon University Press, 2012). In 2006, I published my first collection of essays, The Napkin Manuscripts: Selected Essays and an Interview (University of Tennessee Press). I have also edited This is Where We Live: Short Stories by 25 Contemporary North Carolina Writers, published by the University of North Carolina Press in 2000, a companion anthology to my The Language They Speak is Things to Eat: Poems by Fifteen Contemporary North Carolina Poets, published by UNC Press in 1994.
To see two short videos of "My Inner Hillbilly," a reading that I did at the UNC Alumni Center on Tuesday September 21, 2010 -- the first featuring excerpts from the title essay, the second excerpts from the poetry part of the program -- please visit:
- R. Hunt Parker Memorial Award for Literary Achievement, North Carolina Literary and Historical Association, November 2010.
- Women's Leadership Council Faculty Mentoring Award, UNC, 2010
- James Still Award for Writing about the Appalachian South, from the Fellowship of Southern Writers, 2009.
- Thomas Wolfe Literary Award, Western North Carolina Historical Association, 2006.
- Students' Undergraduate Teaching Award, UNC, April 2004.
- Roanoke-Chowan Award for Poetry, North Carolina Literary and Historical Association, 2001.
- Bowman and Gordon Gray Distinguished Professor, 2000-2005.
- Hettleman Prize for Artistic and Scholarly Achievement by Young Faculty, UNC, 1999.
- Johnston Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching, UNC, Spring 1998.
Women's Leadership Council Faculty Mentoring Award, 2010
Students’ Undergraduate Teaching Award, 2004
Bowman and Gordon Gray Distinguished Term Professorship, 2000-05
James M. Johnston Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching, 1998
Chapman Award for Excellence in Teaching, 1995
Students’ Undergraduate Teaching Award, 1994
M.A., UNC Chapel Hill, 1978
B.A., UNC Chapel Hill, 1976